Airline Travel: Transporting Firearms

The stuff we carry and the bags we carry it in!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:25 pm
I flew back home to visit the family a couple weeks back and took a couple of my pistols and a rifle for a range day with my Pop. I've had a few conversations with airport security and TSA officials on the S.O.P. for traveling with a firearm and it's actually a LOT simpler than I thought it would be. Just figured I'd share since I had to go through the process...

There are just a few basic requirements outlined in the following from TSA:

You may only transport firearms, ammunition and firearm parts in your checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.

Failure to adhere to the following regulations will preclude passengers from traveling with firearms, ammunitions or firearm parts:

* Travelers must declare all firearms, ammunition, and parts to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.

* The firearm must be unloaded.

* The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.

* The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.

* Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.

* TSA must resolve all alarms on checked luggage. If a locked container carrying a firearm alarms, TSA or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.

* Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

* Travelers may not use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).

* Ammunition may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows packing guidelines described above.

* TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder.

These regulations are strictly enforced. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation. Airlines may have additional requirements for traveling with firearms and ammunition. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding firearm and ammunition carriage policies. Also, please note that other countries have different laws that address transportation and possession of firearms. If you are traveling internationally, please check regulations at your destination about their requirements.

There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers who may fly armed by meeting the requirements of Title 49 CFR ยง 1544.219. Law enforcement officers should read our policies on traveling with guns.

Above info cited from: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1666.shtm

Of course before you travel, you should always familiarize yourself with gun carry/transport laws in your destination state. For me, TX recognizes TN handgun carry permits and I've read up on proper transport of rifles according to TX state law so I'm good to go once I hit the ground.
"Remember, your firearm is like your nose. No one else should pick it for you".
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:25 pm
Here's the travel case for my handguns...

Pistol and mags are empty, ammo is in the manufacturer's box, everything is secured in place, and the case locks up nice and tight. Good to go.

I bought mine locally, but here are the specs and info on the pistol case...

Guardforce Classic Model 26C Handgun Gun Case

*Holds one handgun with inside dimensions 12" x 8 1/2" x 4 1/8"
*Strong aluminum alloy frame with impact resistant side panels and steel reinforced corners
*Airline approved
*Pad lock receptacles (padlocks not included)
*Eggcarton foam interior with velcro tie-down straps
*Outside dimensions: 12 5/8" x 9" x 4 1/2"
*Inside dimensions: 12" x 8 1/2" x 4 1/8"
*Actual weight: 3.31 pounds
*Shipping weight: 6 pounds

http://www.exploreproducts.com/guardfor ... n-case.htm

It's a nice little case. Great quality compared to a lot of others I've seen out there. I added a 1/2" thick layer of foam that I cut to fit the pistol and other items inside. It'll help hold everything in place during the trip.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:26 pm
OK, here's the case I used to transport the rifle...

Plano Protector Series Pillar-lock model 1511-01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:26 pm
Here's the info on the locks I'm using. Purchased both sets in the hardware section of the Kmart right down the street from me. I've seen the same ones at WalMart as well...

Master Lock TSA-Accepted Combination Lock Model# 4688D

Product Features:

Allows TSA screeners to inspect and relock baggage without damaging the lock
Unique flexible cable resists abuse from baggage handling equipment
3 dial, set-your-own combination convenience
Easy to set & reset
Matching lock and cable coordinate with popular baggage colors
Bright colors simply baggage identification
1-1/8" (29mm) wide durable metal body
Each package contains one lock

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1010 ... ckType=G53

Master Lock TSA-Accepted Mini Fusion Lock Model# 4689T

Product Features:

Allows TSA screeners to inspect and relock baggage, without damaging the lock
Keyed alike - same key opens both locks
Convenient front access keyway
Bright colors simply baggage identification
1" (25mm) wide durable metal body
Each package contains two locks

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1010 ... ckType=G54

Return to Bags, Gear And Load-Outs