"Build" Concept Debate...

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:43 pm
Something I thought about at work today...
No true plans as I change my mind almost daily :lol: :lol: but another discussion to have!

Super Handi Rifle:

Donor: H&R Handi Rifle
Caliber: 30-06 Springfield
Barrel Length: 18" (Cut, Re-crowned and threaded for a muzzle brake)
Stock: Choate Synthetic Varmint
Sights: 1.5-4x or 2-7x Shotgun Scope (Or Similar)
Budget: $600 Non Negotiable ;)

Misc:
Intended use would essentially be a short range "truck gun" for after work ground hogs and deer. Ultimately replacing my shotgun and allowing it to remain home for HD. Scope choice is made with extended eye relief in mind and that a mid-priced "shotgun scope" should be able to handle the recoil.

Would the shorter barrel on the rifle make the 30-06 kick (recoil) more then it already does?
(I don't want to have to put off the build and fork out $$$ for a freaking Trijicon to handle the recoil lol)
Would the shorter barrel lower my FPS output so much as to limit my bullet choices?
(Would like to at least shoot 150grn effectively for deer and 125grn for Whistle Pigs.)
What other calibers should be considered?
(Avoiding calibers in high demand like .223 and .308)
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:07 am
My guess is that the shorter barrel will kick a little harder but it will also decrease your FPS unless you change the twist in the barrel. Even then the FPS will suffer to some degree.

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:28 pm
I just bought the receiver I need off a guy in West Virginia for $80 + Transfer! WOO!

Donor: H&R Handi Rifle
Caliber: 30-30 Win
Barrel Length: 18" (Cut and Re-crowned)
Stock: Choate Synthetic Varmint
Sights: 1.5-4x or 2-7x Shotgun Scope (Or Similar)
Budget: $600 Non Negotiable

I have changed a few things since my original post :)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 am
A .30-30 Handi Rifle is going to be excellent. Brass (if you get to reloading for it) will last almost indefinitely. I've been keeping my eyes open for a used one chambered in that cartridge. I found a new Handi=Rifle at Academy w/ synthetic stock/iron sights and in .45-70 for a really good price but knew that would really be a handful. I passed.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:01 pm
nitesite wrote:A .30-30 Handi Rifle is going to be excellent. Brass (if you get to reloading for it) will last almost indefinitely. I've been keeping my eyes open for a used one chambered in that cartridge. I found a new Handi=Rifle at Academy w/ synthetic stock/iron sights and in .45-70 for a really good price but knew that would really be a handful. I passed.

I intend on collecting some Brass and maybe picking a pack of primers up for when I do get a press or what not. If the 30-30 with Iron Sights shoots really well with a 22" barrel, I may just leave it be and suffice with an extra 4" of steel lol.

I could have bought my Grand Fathers Marlin 45-70 for $200 about 2 years ago but I know I would have never shot it.... Well too much oomph behind that!

Return to Harrington & Richardson Handi-Rifle