Reloading 30-30 Interesting Concept

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: nitesite

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:06 pm
For quite a while now I have had the bug.. the one that bites you and you REALLY want to reload for some reason... I just haven't found a caliber that would hold my interest or gun that would be equally addicting. Was looking around for a cheap rifle of caliber that my interest peaked at and could be maintained... in walked the Single Shot 30-30. With the Single shot you aren't restricted to Round Nose and Flat Nose bullets so your choice of bullet REALLY opens up and so does your weights and powders you can use. Looks like if I can find one at a decent price I may have a Handi-project :lol: (Primers may be a problem though....)

What's everyone else think?
Administrator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:54 am
I have been thinking about doing the same thing! The problem right now is primers and powder are really tough to come by...

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:33 pm
DHonovich wrote:I have been thinking about doing the same thing! The problem right now is primers and powder are really tough to come by...

Yeah, this is my only draw back too. I have been fishing around for information and I think the general understanding is that any bullet without a polymer tip, like Nosler Ballistic Tips, will not expand at 30-30 velocities. The Nosler Partition get great reviews by 30-30 reloaders that have already done this same thing but they all note that there is no super excellent gain by reloading such bullet types in a 30-30.

The Hornady LEVERevolution stuff gets awesome reviews and is pretty potent if looking for somewhere to start with an already great bullet. @300yds the Ft. Lbs. is 2x the energy of Soft Point Federal or Remington. If using those bullets though, you could keep your Lever Rifle and scratch the single shot....... So many things to consider
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:31 pm
There are many options when it come to reloading...the hardest part is choosing the right equipment to get started.

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:39 pm
Roger that Shooter!

As stated before, there may be no real strong argument as to why one should reload, BTHP, Ballistic Tip or other bullet types of similar construction in the 30-30 cartridge. The Velocity doesn't meet the needs for expansion and trying to work a load up to get needed velocities is dangerous and not at all recommended.

Still an interesting concept if you were hunting small game (varmint) like Ground hogs. The 125grn Ballistic tips or Spitzers would be awesome! May still be something to this! Now about those Primers......... :lol:

EDIT: Some more reading says the 30-30 velocities allow the Nosler 125grn Ballistic Tip to expand but not as explosively as it would at 308 or 30-06 velocities. Good thing to know!

Return to Ammunition