I'm now powder coating my home cast boolits ~ great FUN!

Moderator: nitesite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:22 am
Powdercoating your own cast lead bullets (instead of coating them with lube or using a lubri-sizer) can be very easy and very affordable, and leave virtually ZERO leading in practically any firearm barrel.

I've only been doing it a short while but there are endless possibilities of bright colors, and it is really simple, and certainly preferable to bullet lube using Alox, or futzing with gas checks. 8-)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:26 am
Sounds like a great topic for " Show and Tell " nitesite...please do continue !!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:10 pm
I think I'll just do that. I'll get some photos taken.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:03 am
Thanks my friend...looking forward to the topic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:28 pm
So there are lots of bullet casters who are tired of lubri-sizers and expensive lube sticks and gas checks or using Alox sticky lube.

Polymer coated lead bullets have been sold for years as a much cheaper alternative to copper jacketed bullets sold to reloaders, so it didn't take long for do-it-yourself guys to figure out that it can be done at home with our own cast lead bullets.

See, I can cast wheel-weight alloy bullets for virtually nothing. Okay, maybe a thousand cost me a few dollars. But each bullet still needs lubed, and that can be a pain in the butt. It just isn't "fun".

Powder Coat Paint is just a fine polyester dust applied to metals and then baked, and it turns out that those polymer coated bullets sold commercially are just a clear powder coat on a bullet. Voila! A great way to shoot lead bullets without any barrel leading, and it can be accomplished at home for an investment of about twenty-thirty dollars!

I am just a noob at this, and there are some REALLY SERIOUS bullet casters who do this with a true passion and a pretty deep wallet, and their results are magnificent. You want cast lead bullets in a certain color? Just ask. There is almost no limit to the rainbow of coatings that take to a lead bullet.

Here's what I did to get started:

I got a bunch of my cast bullets, and a re-used Cool-Whip tub, and a pound of red powder coat paint. Shaken bullets in the tub create sufficient static to make the powder cling to them

and then a ten-dollar thrift shop used toaster oven bakes the coating in about 15-minutes until it is hard.

The bullets are ready for a push-thru sizer, which I can size at about 300-per hour. Then we can load 'em and shoot 'em!!!

Before this I was using Lee Liquid Alox lube that took days or weeks to dry enough to then reload my ammo. Now, in 30-minutes from start to finish I can coat, bake, cool, size and shove 'em in the charged case and I am GTG.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:15 am
Awesome insight nitesite...thanks for sharing this process !!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:58 pm
I'm ordering Zombie Green and Gloss Black because the boolits will look kewl........
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:06 am
Sounds like a plan....

Return to Reloading Ammunition