20-min later I have 20+ lbs of FREE lead for casting > PICS

Moderator: nitesite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:09 am
I got a sand flea rake for Christmas from my wife. How many of you would even have a freekin' clue what a sand flea rake is let alone have a wife that surprises you with one???? :)

Here's what they generally look like. Used in the shallow surf line you can scoop up delectible sand fleas for surf fishing bait for FREE w/o a license. Just pull thru the sand, and let the waves wash out the sand so you are left with decent bait.

So when my bride remembered that I mentioned wanting one way back in the summer (when it was too effin' HOT), so that I could strip exposed lead bullets from the hillside berm and get free lead, she was a wonderful wife and when temps were much cooler she hooked me up! :D

I went to an outdoor range, spent maybe 5-10 minutes making a few (4-5) quick uphill pulls, each time letting the dried dirt sift out, and then pouring the wonderful soft pure lead bullets to drop into a box.

Went home, poured it all on the driveway and hosed it down under pressure so that the remaining dirt and gravel washed away. Five minutes, maybe ten minutes later TOPS I was done. This was just a "trial run" mind you.

There will be at least 20-lbs of pure soft lead after smelting this pile in a pot and pouring the molten galena into some ingots for later bullet/slug pouring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twenty minutes, twenty pounds, all free! At 7000-grains per pound that's a whole lotta free bullets. Imagine what I can do next time when I spend an hour doing this!!!!!!!

I'm nitesite, and I approved this message.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:34 pm
Now that's a great idea...thanks for the tip nitesite !!

Return to Reloading Ammunition